Tuesday 19 June 2012

Every little girl's dream.....to have a doll cake

After I made the doll cake for my little girl, a good friend of mine discovered that I have this 'hidden' talent. Note that the keyword here is 'hidden' as it was hidden from me all this while too..hahaha! I never knew that I could bake a cake, let alone decorate it.


So, she was excited to order one for her daughter's birthday which was few weeks after I made the first one. I was nervous yet excited to be given this opportunity to challenge myself again. Since I was still very new in this, we both decided to go for a similar design but with a different doll. Coincidentally, Zara's favorite color is purple (my life could not be easier! ;)). 

I used a "half" doll and piped her bodice with purple royal icing. I added silver dragees to the bodice to give it a luxe look. I have also learnt a new trick to wrap the doll's long hair with clingwrap to avoid it getting dirty (well, maybe that is supposed to be common sense too...).


I used the same Wilton Classic Mold to bake a chocolate cake for the skirt, covered in Swiss Meringue Buttercream after the cake is completely cooled and added the royal icing flowers to it.  So, after that was done, it was time to 'dress' the doll....
In my opinion, this definitely looked better than my daughter's cake as practice makes perfect, so they say. I was definitely more confident in doing this doll cake the second time around. The chocolate cake was moist enough and everyone loved it. YAY!

Of course, the most important person, the birthday girl herself was so happy to get a doll cake for her birthday and in purple some more. Here is a picture of her posing next to her cake....


Seeing her glowing face like that made me the happiest baker in town. That is what matters most, right? To me anyway...It gives me the motivation and stirs the passion in me to be better in what I do.





For that, I am thankful (and happy) to make this little girl's dream come true :-)

2 comments:

susie ooi said...

I baked my "barbie" cake in a round Pyrex bowl more than 15 years ago. I know how much "work" involved, you did well and the colour is spot on! The birthday girl will remember your doll cake forever.

sugarmummy said...

Thank you, Dee Yee! I am glad that this cake is part of her happy memory of growing up! ;-)