Sunday 17 June 2012

How it all began....

I don't bake...ok, that's not entirely true. I bake seasonally, that is, once a year, for Christmas. After I got an oven 9 years ago, during the first 8 years, I have only used theoven 5 times (twice to bake Christmas cookies, twice to make Shepherd's pie and once to heat up leftover pizzas). See, I could still count and remember them..hahaha.
As this is officially my first blog, I pondered on what to share...then I thought, why not about my very first bake? :-) and when better to officiate my blog than on my parents' anniversary which is today, 17th June! I owed my existence to them and they have always been so loving and supportive..

When I quit my job last December to be a SAHM, I suddenly had time in my hands..so to speak. So, when my youngest daughter was about to celebrate her 1st birthday in January this year, my dear hubby asked me to bake her a doll cake. I was like, "what?? Excuse me, U definitely have a super high level of confidence in me, for someone who rarely bakes, you want me to bake her a doll cake?" then he went on to tell me that his sister had a doll cake made by my MIL, so Kristianne should have one too...

Boy, was I stressed!!! Immediately, I googled and searched the net for inspiration. I managed to get the Wilton Classic Mold which came with a half doll. I thought the mold/pan was excellent since it was a fluted shaped one already which forms the dress of the doll. Then came the cake...hmmm...which recipe should I try....so, I settled for Cream cheese pound cake (rather ambitious aren't we?)! I was EXCITED to begin...


I began making royal icing flowers to decorate the skirt 2 weeks in advance. So, the day before the party, I made the cake/skirt. I've overlooked that the batter was too much for my humble Philips 3L mixer which resulted in the batter not mixed properly and I forgot to scrape the sides of bowl too (which I've learnt from many experienced bakers, it's an important step!!). The cake took longer than the recommended time to bake..as a result, the cake was very dry. I decided to decorate it anyway...





As u can see, I used a different doll instead which was a real doll actually given by my MIL. Turned out the skirt was too big for the doll...hahaha! Anyway, being my first attempt, for an amateur, i think it still looked pretty, simple and cute. 'A' for effort.. :-) 


Of course, much improvement is required for the taste and texture of the cake....and to omit almond extract from my cakes (I found out that it's an acquired taste and not many in my family like it). All in all, it was a good learning experience.

Kristianne at her 1st bday party






And so, the adventure begins....

7 comments:

sugarmummy said...

Test..

Anonymous said...

Your bakings can take you a long way. Creativity proves it all. Harness your capabilities.. just visualize it!

sugarmummy said...

thanks eugene!

Anonymous said...

Well done, Michelle! Look forward to many more blogs fm u ..

susie ooi said...

I used to bake and decorate the boys birthday cake once a year, I can see that you need to do it 3 times a year just for your lots. You would get the rewards, satisfactions, admirations and so on.... threefolds! Your children will appreciate all efforts you put in. Enjoy and happy baking !!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your bakes look like pro. Looking forward to many more of your bakes n creations.

sugarmummy said...

Thank you Anonymous! whoever you are, i will definitely do my best! :-)